An addictive red chutney is flavorful and gives you a taste of juicy red peppers and tomatoes with a final kick of warm garlic and chili. I absolutely love this red chutney as it can be paired with chips, falafel wraps, bhel puri or if you are like me… added to every meal possible!!
I grew up eating this chutney with vegetarian crispy Potato Bhajia (Pakora) and every time I now have this combination it reminds me of home. I will also be sharing my healthy (baked) version of Potato Bhajia soon. So stay tuned!
- 1 whole red pepper
- 3-4 tomatoes
- Crushed garlic – at least two table spoons or more (I LOVE garlic)
- Crushed ginger – half-full teaspoon
- Chili sauce/ tomato ketchup
- Sprinkle of salt
- Sprinkle of sugar (if ketchup doesn’t sweeten up the chutney or the tomatoes are too tangy)
- Shredded carrot (I didn’t use for this chutney, but this also adds a great sweetness and actually works really well if pairing with Bhajia)
- A handful of cilantro (coriander)
- A teaspoon of ground cumin seeds
Instructions to make red chutney salsa:
- Wash and finely chop your vegetables so its easy to blend.
- Put all of your finely cut ingredients into a food blender. I just got a hand held stick blender for Christmas and its awesome!! Game changer! Similar blenders linked here and here and here!!
- As you continue to blend, the ingredients should mesh and start to become a red salsa (the tomatoes will release water so it will be quite a translucent chutney).
- Continue to taste and add sugar, salt, garlic and ginger along the way! And continue to blend a little more.
- An Indian red chutney should be forming…
- Serve with chips, bhajia or as a side condiment to any type of food, and enjoy!
- P.S. Warning, this red chutney is very addictive!!
- P.P.S. If you want to check out my spicy green chutney recipe – click here.