After a cold and rainy day I was craving hot comfort food. Kinda like a big warm hug!! I actually decided to make this on a whim but was told it was the best tasting 🌶 Mac & Cheese EVER! 🙌🏽 For this dish, I actually used Cashew and Almond milk for the sauce, as it really helped bring a slight sweetness to the spicy sauce. See my Recipe below!
- Macaroni pasta (can use regular pasta too)
- Plain flour
- Garlic fresh or powder
- Chili flakes
- Milk (regular or almond & cashew milk)
- Grated cheese
- Chili sauce (optional)
- 1-2 fresh jalapeno peppers (optional)
- Jar jalapenos
- Preheat the oven at 350c
- In a saucepan, add water, salt and a drop of oil. Add macaroni or pasta shells and let them cook until al dente.
- In another saucepan, add a blob of butter and let it melt. Then add a couple of teaspoons of plain flour, fresh garlic or garlic powder (I used powder), salt, pepper and chili flakes. Let it form into a paste and sizzle.
- Next lower the heat and gently begin to add your milk. You can use regular whole milk. I used almond and cashew milk. Continue to stir (don’t stop otherwise milk could split) and for an extra spicy taste squeeze in some sriracha sauce (totally optional). As the milk begins to bubble, add thinly sliced jalapeño peppers add grated cheese (I used pepper jack). Keep stirring until Cheese has melted and a thick cheese sauce as formed.
- If you have extra sauce, put to one side and pour rest over cooked macaroni. Mix together. Remember the oven will dry it out a little so okay to have extra sauce! Place into a baking tray and sprinkle more shredded cheese on top. Finally place some picked jalapeños from the jar on top (love a little zang from these babies).
- Place your mac and cheese bake into the oven and bake until top is crispy and golden brown (around 10 mins or so). You can broil the last minute if needed.
- Enjoy! Pour more spicy white sauce if needed!