Ever have leftover chapatis and you don’t know what to do with them? Well don’t throw them away! As it’s time to make a delicious bowl of Vaghareli Rotli instead!
Vaghareli Rotli or Chapati in spiced yogurt, is a perfect healthy bowl of yummy goodness for a cold winters day (actually any day in my books) and is very simple, quick and easy to make. Growing up, this was our family favorite and we typically ate this on Saturday afternoons (a Makwana favorite).
Vaghareli Rotli is typically made from leftover chapatis, spices and yogurt. It is one of South-Gujarat’s most common breakfast items. Chapatis are whole wheat flat breads, which are commonly eaten with curries and as mum’s typically like to make a dozen or so there is always going to be left over!
Vaghareli rotli tastes awesome especially because of spiced yogurt flavor and I tend to garnish mine with chopped cilantro/coriander and chilies and serve hot and fresh.
- 4-5 Leftover Rotli/ Chapatis
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt/Home made Dahi
- 2 Green Chilies Roughly Chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin Seeds
- Pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
- 1 dried chili
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Red Chili Powder
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- ¼ cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- fresh ground garlic
- Whisk the yogurt in a measuring jug, add ½ cup of water, salt, red chili powder and ground cumin and make a smooth batter and keep aside.
- Cut the leftover rotlis into small-small pieces and add salt, red chili powder, turmeric and mix. Then place to one side
- Heat the oil in a deep pan. Add mustard seeds, dried chili, cumin seeds and a pinch of hing.
- Now add chopped green chilies, curry leaves, fresh garlic and sauté it for few seconds.
- Add the chopped rotlis’ pieces and a few coriander/cilantro leaves in and sauté it for 2-3 mins on medium flame.
- Lower the heat completely and add the whisked yogurt into the roti mixture. Make sure you stir it continuously for 2-3 mins (to ensure the yogurt mix doesn’t split) till the mixture becomes little bit thick and start boiling.
- Vaghareli Rotli is ready, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves, green chilies and sprinkle a pinch of red chili powder as per your taste.
- Serve a hot bowl of vaghareli rotli and enjoy! Yum!