Being the foodie I am, I am always trying to think of fun things to cook and eat! I love Indian samosas….but I also love grilled cheese! Wrapping samosas is too time consuming and I am always struggling to find tasty vegetarian dinner ideas. So I decided to combine my two loves (samosa mix and cheese) and create my very own yummy Indian sandwich! Here is my quick and simple recipe guide for yummy Indian Masala Toasted (Samosa) Cheese Sandwiches! Enjoy! #meatlesseveryday
- 1-2 diced potatoes
- frozen peas
- sweetcorn (optional – I am a sweetcorn lover)
- 1-2 red onions
- fresh chilies
- red chili powder
- oil, butter or ghee
- cumin seeds
- mustard seeds
- garam masala (optional)
- chopped cilantro
- lemon or lime juice
- slices of bread
- few curry leaves
- few small cinnamon sticks
- 1 pinch of asafoetida powder (hing)
- Small pieces of ginger
- grated cheese
- Brown/White sliced bread
How to prepare the recipe
- Dice onions, chillies and potatoes. Put sweetcorn and peas into small bowls ready to be used.
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, cinnamon sticks and asafoetida powder – keep at a low heat as you don’t want to burn the seeds.
- Once this begins to sizzle, add the chopped onions and chillies and mix around. Sprinkle a little salt to stop onions from browning.
- Add the diced potatoes, mix them in the oil and let them cook for a while.
- Once potatoes begin to soften a little, add a pinch of chili powder, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar, pinch of turmeric powder, pinch of garam masala, lemon juice and pieces of mushed up ginger (add more or less depending on how you like it to taste).
- Now add your peas and sweetcorn and mix all together. Let this cook for a while so all spices can gel together and vegetables become soft.
- Add chopped cilantro and mix around. Once all vegetables are cooked, turn off heat and let it cool.
- Butter each side of the bread slice. Either place the buttered bread in a sandwich maker or on a flat pan (make sure you spray light oil before you do this so bread doesn’t stick). Add the cooked samosa masala mix to the middle of the bread.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and place the second buttered bread on top. Grill each side until the sandwich is toasted.
DeepsMak Blogging with a Cuppa