Veggie burgers are my thing. There is nothing more satisfying then biting into a yummy burger with onions, tomatoes, mayo, pickles and oozing chili cheese. In fact my sister and I are huge fans of ‘cheese burger no meat’ option from McDonalds. Yes – believe it or not it’s so tasty with a side of fries! So, with that I wanted to make my own version of a (vegan friendly) healthy baked kidney bean burgers.
This version is super healthy and easy to make and instead of pan frying the patties, I baked them in the oven. You can stick your baked kidney bean burgers into soft buns or have it in between fresh large romaine lettuce slices like we did. Just as yummy but that little bit more healthier!
I also had a bit of kidney beans left over from the tin, so I decided to use them and make a chili bean sauce. ARE YOU KIDNEY BEANING ME? No I am not. I dumped the rest of the kidney beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic powder, jalapenos, salt, pepper, a little red pepper, lemon juice into a food mixer and blended together a beautiful, spicy and tasteful chili bean sauce which we used on our burgers!
Time: 30 mins
I made 4 baked kidney bean patties using:
- 1-2 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Panko whole wheat bread crumbs
- Half a red pepper
- a bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1/4-1/2 cup flour or cornmeal
- 1 to 2 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil
- 4 to 6 (4″ square) pieces romaine lettuce
- 4 to 6 slices tomato
- A Splash od lemon juice
- 4 to 6 slices of fresh jalapeños
- Slices of chili cheese (optional)
- Choice of ketchup, mustard, chili sauce, pickle relish, mayo, barbecue sauce, or other toppings.
- Chili sauce (optional)
- Soft burger buns (optional)
- Also you can add quinoa, oats or black beans to the patty mixture as well!
- Turn on the oven to 350c
- Thoroughly rinse and drain the canned beans. Mush them together as much as you can.
- Next in a food processor, combine the mushed beans, chopped red onion, fresh cilantro garlic powder, panko bread crumbs, salt, pepper, chili sauce, chopped red pepper, (if you prefer) and a splash of lemon juice. Pulse 5 times. Add flour or cornmeal, and pulse until mixture holds together.
- With damp hands, form the burger mixture into patties and place in baking tray with foil. Place your patties into the oven to bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Bake the patties until they are golden brown (you can turn them over as needed).
- In the mean time, prepare any sauces if needed – i.e. the kidney bean sauce I mentioned above. Seriously damn tasty!
- Once the patties are done, remove from the oven and place each burger onto a roman lettuce at the bottom. Add tomato, jalapeños pepper, onions and other desired toppings and sauces on top!
- If you are using buns, do the same, buy placing the patties inside of the buns, add your sliced cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapeños and sauces!