If you have visited the big apple and tried NYC’s Halal Guys chicken and rice then you know what I am talking about. A small food cart on 53rd and 6th Avenue has now become an iconic spot with huge lines waiting for the infamous chicken and rice drenched in its legendary white and red sauce! If you haven’t tried it, I would highly recommend going (they have falafel for vegetarians also) or better still make it at home! When I saw @tableofspice home made Halal Guys Chicken and Rice I was totally inspired to make my own veggie version!
And let me tell you, it was a big hit in my house!! So yummy! I used @tableofspice recipes for the red/white sauce and yellow rice (however added my own little touches throughout).
Prep time : 30 minutes
Cook time : 30 minutes
Total time : 60 minutes
Servings – 2-4 people
Ingredients for the white sauce
1/2 cup – yogurt (regular or Greek)
1 cup – mayo
2 tbsp – water
1 tbsp – vinegar (distilled is fine)
1/2 tsp – salt and pepper
1/2 tsp – dried or fresh parsley or cilantro/ coriander
2 tsp – sugar
1 tsp – lemon juice
Mix everything in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Ingredients the red hot sauce
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp – garlic or garlic powder
1/2 tsp – salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 small red onion or onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp – vinegar
1 tbsp – lemon juice
1 small tomato
A squeeze of your favorite hot sauce and/or 3-4 red chilies
Put all ingredients in blender, blend together until smooth paste. I also added this to the fridge.
Ingredients for the mock meat
Morning Star chicken/ Uptons chirizo seitan
2 tbsp – olive oil
1-3 tsp – fresh garlic (minced) or garlic powder (depends on how garlic tasting you want your mock meat)
1/2 tsp -dried parsley and/or coriander/ cilantro
1/2 tsp – oregano
1/2 tsp – coriander/curry powder
1/2 tsp – red chili powder
Pinch of salt and pepper
Ingredients for the yellow rice
1 veggie stock cube with 1/2 cup of water (I used the Knorr brand)
1-2 cups – basmati rice
A few drops of lemon juice
1 tsp – red chili powder
1 tsp – turmeric
1 tsp – cumin powder
1 tsp – salt
A drop of olive oil or a blob of butter
Hot nan bread
Side salad – green lettuce or spinach leaves with tomatoes
Cute sauce squeeze bottles
Foil – if you want to get the real Halal Guys effect like @tableofspice and I did
- SAUCES: Start off by making the white and red sauces so you can store them away in the fridge to chill (you can also make them the night before if you want)
- RICE: Next take 1-2 cups of rice and let it soak in warm water for 15 minutes
- MOCK MEAT: In the mean time, open your Morning star veggie chicken strips and Upton’s crumble ready to be cooked.
- In two separate pans, add light olive oil to heat. Next add garlic, salt, black pepper, red chili powder, oregano, coriander/curry powder to form a little paste.Next add the mock meat into each pan separately, mix and let it cook for about 10 minutes occasionally stirring. You can also add fresh parsley and coriander/cilantro for extra taste.
- RICE: Drain out the old water from the rice. Next add 1 vegetable stock cube with 1/2 – 1 cup water, olive oil, salt, lemon, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and a few cloves.
- Stir in all ingredients with the rice and let rice cook for 15-20 minutes on medium heat. Stir a few times and always make sure to check the rice consistency as its cooking so you don’t over cook it.
- HOT PITA BREAD & SALAD: If you are serving your veggie Halal guys chicken and rice with nan bread, you can begin to heat your nan breads either in the microwave or lightly in the toaster. Make sure to butter them straight away so you get oozing butter ready to be eaten! Next cut a few leaves of spinach/lettuce and tomatoes ready to add to your bowl.
- Once the mock chicken is cooked through (make sure you taste) remove from the heat. Additionally once rice is cooked, remove from heat and drain excess water via a strainer. TIP- if the rice is still very wet, place it in a bowl and microwave it for extra 2 minutes. Should help remove excess water.
- PLATE UP. Finally its time to plate up. Cover your bowls with foil (unless you have foil bowls already). Place mock meat, rice, salad and nan bread in triangles so you can fit all the food into the bowl.
- Finally DRIZZLE, SQUEEZE OR DRENCH your bowl of food in the beloved white and red sauces of your choice.
- Enjoy a veggie Halal Guys chicken and rice right in the comfort of your own home!!