I am always looking for tasty things to fill my tacos and wraps with, because let’s face it, veggies are not always going to fill you up! And so, I recently came across the Jackfruit Company and decided to give it a go – and what a pleasant surprise it was!
For all vegetarians (like me) if are searching for something other than soya/tofu (or for non vegetarians if you are looking for a healthy meat substitute,) then jackfruit is the next best thing! It’s high in fiber, low in calories, really tasty, has a firm meat like consistency, absorbs flavor well and is super healthy!
“Plant Based Eats Like No Other”. Having read a little about the story behind the Jackfruit Company, I was inspired to read about Annie Ryu’s discovery of jackfruit in India (2011).
So, in essence, these vegetarian and vegan friendly tacos/wraps were delicious. They were super easy and quick to make for a weekday meal and I will be definitely be using jackfruit more often.
In 30 mins you can have a delicious and healthy meal read to serve. Now let’s get cooking:
- Packet of prepared jackfruit or fresh jackfruit if you have
- 1/2 large red onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)/ or garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt/ black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1-2 small red and orange/yellow peppers
- 3 tsp chili sauce (of your choice and depending on how spicy you want it)
- A pinch of red pepper chili flakes
- Taco seasoning
- 1-3 Tbsp lemon juice
FOR SERVING optional
- Corn or flour tortillas
- My green chutney OR guacamole spread
- Lime/lemon wedges
- Salsa – optional
- Extra Hot Sauce
- I added halloumi cheese (optional)
In a large pan, heat oil, cumin, onion, and garlic and red pepper chili flakes. Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until onions are golden brown and softened.
Next add jackfruit, salt, black pepper, chili powder, taco seasoning, cilantro/coriander, peppers, chili sauce and splash of lemon juice. Stir to coat and reduce heat to low – medium. Cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
OPTIONAL: I didn’t do this however, while your jackfruit is cooking, you can mash it for a finer texture, as this will create a more “meat-like” texture.
Keep on tasting and adding any seasoning as needed (I added a little more garlic and chili powder)
- In the mean time, while the jackfruit is near to cooking, heat up your tacos/wraps so they are ready to eat.
- Spread your guacamole spread or my green chutney across your tacos/wraps.
- OPTIONAL: Add cheese – I had some spare halloumi cheese, so I heated this up in the oven in small cubes so it was ready to add to the tacos.
- Once the jackfruit is cooked, top each taco with your mixture, add cheese of choice (optional) drizzle a little hot sauce and top with fresh cilantro/coriander.
- Bon Appetit!