As part of our personal cooking class in Hoi An, we made fresh vegetarian spring rolls (also called summer rolls). I had such an amazing experience cooking and learning about the Vietnamese cuisine and was one of my favorite highlights of my Vietnam adventure. These rolls consist of shaved vegetables, and light rice noodles wrapped up all ready for a spicy, tangy peanut sauce. They are healthy and light, and so refreshing and great to eat as a light appetizer for spring and in the heat of summer. And the beauty of it is they are super easy.
This recipe uses a mixture of red pepper, cucumber, and carrot, scallions (spring onions) which I seasoned with cilantro (coriander) and parsley leaves and my soya sauce mix. I didn’t use noodles for my version, but can always be added in as an additional ingredient. I am in love with these pretty rolls! They were a perfect light, crunchy lunch, and I am planning on eating a few for dinner, too.
This was my first experience making these and they are normally made with rice paper however I used Nasoya wanton wraps and baked them in the oven. They were pretty easy to roll and tasted delicious. This recipe can be adapted dozens of ways, and it’s a great way to start experimenting freestyle with Asian flavors.
I also whipped up a little peanut sauce to dip the spring rolls into. My peanut sauce is filled with lots of red pepper flakes, but you could make a lighter sauce with just lime juice, rice vinegar, a bit of sugar and soya sauce.
So here is my very own take on Vegetable Vietnamese Spring Rolls!
How To Make Vegetable Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
MAKES 8 rolls
For the Spicy Peanut Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons creamy organic or natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, to thin out the sauce, if necessary
For the noodle filling:
- 1 1/2 cups noodles (also called bean threads) (optional)
For the vegetable filling:
- 1/3 seedless cucumber
- 1/2 medium carrot, peeled
- 1/2 red and green bell pepper
- 1 scallion, chopped
For the vegetable dressing:
- 1/2 brown teaspoon sugar
- 1-2 table spoons soya sauce
- 1/2 lime, juiced, about 1 tablespoon
- Red pepper chili flakes
To assemble the rolls:
- 8 rice paper wrappers/ wanton wraps
- 1 egg
Make the spicy peanut sauce: Whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce until smooth and creamy, and set aside.
- Make the vegetable filling: Use grater to slice the cucumber, carrot, and red pepper into thin strips — or simply julienne by hand. Whisk together the soya sauce, sugar, and lime juice and red pepper chili flakes in a large bowl. Add the vegetables, cilantro (coriander), parsley and the scallion (spring onions), and toss to coat.
- Put filling in the center of the wrapper: Fill the center of the softened wrapper first by laying about 3 to 4 herb leaves down the center. Then, add 1/8 of the veggie mixture.
- Roll up the summer rolls: To roll up your roll, brush egg white on the edges and first fold the top and bottom edges of the wrapper over the filling, then fold in the edges towards the center and continue rolling the filled wrapper until it’s closed and snug.
Bake: Next bake them in the oven to give a little more crunch. It turned out just as tasty! To serve, slice in half with a sharp knife and serve the peanut sauce on the side.