Who loves coconut? And who loves their Ma?? Me Me Me!
As Mother’s Day is around the corner I thought I’d share this cake recipe so we can show our Ma’s (Or basically anyone you love) our appreciation with something delicious. As always, this cake can be enjoyed with ice-cream or a Cuppa tea! Trust me, this cake will not disappoint (I basically ate half the cake batter oppps). ￼
As you may already know I’m a savory gal and I’ve never been a huge cake fan but once I made this delicious cake using coconut flour and shredded coconut – I was sold! And now you will be too! Let’s get baking!
√ 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pans
√ 2 cups sugar
√ 3 eggs, at room temperature
√ 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
√ 3 cups all-purpose flour,
plus more for dusting the pans
√ 1 cup coconut flour (optional as substitute for 1 cup all- purpose flour instead)
√ 1 teaspoon baking powder
√ 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
√ 1 1/2 cup milk
√ 4 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- First preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 baking pans with butter.
- In the large bowl cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes with your hand held electric mixer, until light yellow and fluffy. Crack the eggs into a small bowl (make sure they are at room temperature).
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl once during mixing. Add the vanilla extracts and mix well. You may decide to add some coconut oil if you have, but this is not a necessity.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour (plain and coconut flour), baking powder and baking soda.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Finally fold in the 4 ounces of coconut with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter evenly into your pan and smooth the top with a knife or spatula.
- Sprinkle a little more shredded coconut on top of the cakes.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until the top is browned and a cake tester comes out clean. Basically stick a fork in it and if nothing sticks, your cake is cooked!
- Cool on a baking rack for 30 minutes, then turn the cake out onto a baking rack to finish cooling.
- Serve with a slice of coconut cake with a cuppa tea or ice cream!!
Looking forward to seeing all of your beautiful Mother’s Day coconut cakes! Tag me on Insta @deepsmak so I share!
Wishing all the mothers to be, mothers and grandmamas a happy Mother’s Day.